Sunday, March 17, 2013

A "BRIEF ENCOUNTER" WITH A 16 YEAR-OLD TIGER

                 
     In the winter of 1943 the world was at war. I had just turned 17 so I was not in the Army as yet and war was a distant “thing”. I was a freshman at Yale and just prior to turning 17 I played basketball on the Varsity team. My first 15 minutes of fame came when I was the high scorer in a game vs. Columbia played in NYC before a gaggle of friends and family. The New York papers carried the story in headlines.
     Several weeks later as I entered the team’s locker room for a practice session, “Red Rolfe” of NY Yankee fame and my basketball coach smiled as he passed me a letter he had pinned on the bulletin board. It was addressed to Earl Bronsteen at Yale Athletic Gym and the envelope was pink.
     I sat down and read the contents. It was from a young girl named Jeanne Godolphin whose father happened to be Dean of Princeton University. She wrote that all her friends were sending letters to G.I.’s overseas but she thought she’d write to me instead, after having read of my exploits in the newspapers. She asked if I’d like to meet. We arranged to get-together under the clock in Grand Central Station on Saturday next.
  I can’t recall what I dreamed would transpire at that meeting which was initiated in such a daring manner for those times.
   I was a typically libidinous virgin  - - - perhaps I envisioned the two of us rushing towards one another, with a ray of sunlight streaming on her golden long hair and then, as our bodies touched, lifting her off her feet in a wild embrace and then…


    Well, we found each other and it’s safe to say that from the very first moment no sparks flew - - - for either of us. I don’t remember what we chatted about. After putting her back on the train for Princeton I headed back to New Haven - - - chaste and chastened. After the war she married Steve Kurtz who became Dean of Phillips Exeter Academy. They left three children.
     I wonder if any of her children or grandchildren knows of this “poor man’s” version of the old tearjerker movie, “Brief Encounter” as if they, or anyone else, would give a damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment